Due to the request from Uncle Steve, I present to you the recipe for cow tongue, as prepared by Marga and her family…
- 1 cow tongue
- 1 large or 2 small leeks
- 1/2 an onion
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 tomato
- 2-3 eggs
- white wine (optional)
- Coarsely chop up all the veggies and place them in a pot with just enough water to cover them.
- Place tongue in pot (the cow’s, not yours). It’s not that important that it be completely covered by the water, because you can turn it a few times while its boiling.
- Add a few pinches of salt (2-3 teaspoons?)
- You can optionally add about a glass of white wine, as well
- Boil for 60-90 minutes, depending on the thickness of the tongue.
- Allow to cool
- While it’s still warm (it’s easier when warm), remove the skin from the tongue.
- Cut into thin cross-section slices. The thinner the better.
- PurÃ©e the vegetables in the pot. We use a handheld mixer (see photo below).
- Bread and fry each slice
- Heat oil in frying pan (we use sunflower oil)
- Pour some flour on a plate
- Beat 2 or 3 eggs in a bowl
- Cover each slice of tongue in flour
- Dip each slice in egg
- Place each slice in hot oil until golden brown
- Place each breaded and fried slice in the pot with the sauce
- Simmer on low heat for a few minutes to let the flavors mingle
- Serve with a healthy serving of silly tongue jokes.